Monday, November 2, 2009

Big Announcement

Well, I promised some big news after the weekend. As of early last week, Terri, Barb (his breeder in Canada who helped ship him out here from KY...see some of the first posts), and I are now the PROUD NEW OWNERS of Firestorm! Whoo Hoo!!
This is so much more exciting than I can even convey. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would own (even a 1/3) this boy. I was pretty content just getting to be his "trainer" and caretaker for now. But that little worry always lurked in the back of my mind, that he would be sold to someone that wouldn't take good care of him. Or even if they did, wouldn't appreciate him for what he could do, and be. And also would end up taking him out of the gene pool by gelding him, which he really shouldn't have happen to him as he is such a good looking guy with great disposition,etc. Basically what all studs SHOULD be and not as many are. Course add to that his homozygous color and you have the icing on the cake :)
Anyway, it's been a waiting game as such. Kamela waiting for a buyer, me waiting and hoping he wouldn't sell til I could (yeah, right!) one day afford to buy him. Then one day a few weeks ago, Kamela says she really is needing to sell him and I say I wish I could, but can't afford the current price. She made me a pretty good offer, but one I still couldn't afford alone BUT it COULD be feasible with one or two other people. So I quickly called up Terri and tried to get a hold of Barb as well, to see if they could go in on it, and both said YES! We haggled out the details as fast as possible and sent the go-ahead back to Kamela and the deal was done.
I am just SO pleased! Terri will most likely have me buy out her 1/3 in a few yrs when I have the money (though maybe she'll really start to enjoy being a stud owner too!), but for now, we will have a partnership going. He will stay here in Humboldt for the most part, so he can be campaigned in endurance (maybe even a few open shows here and there too, but not even sure what is available anywhere near us in that regard). Now and then he'll probably head up to Canada for a season to breed Barb's mares or be available up in Canada for breeding. But those are all things we can work out over time. Right now, we are all basking in the glow of new horse ownership :)

No comments:

Post a Comment