Sunday, February 28, 2010

All the pretty horses....

OK...Guess I will finally just stand here quietly...

Storm, Ari, and Boots were needing their yearly vaccinations, so Terri and I decided to trailer pool into the vet's office. We normally can give our own shots, since all our horses stand fine, most without any restraint at all, and so far, none have shown any reactions to any of the shots either. But in good old California, we are not allowed to give Rabies ourselves. I hear rumor that there is one catalog that will ship to CA, but unless you have a bunch of horses (well, we are pretty much at that, but they are not all on the same schedule, or even close), it really isn't worth it as you need to buy a vial of the stuff, all the syringes, and the vaccine shipping is often extra. So we bite the bullet and pay the extra office visit to get it done locally...oh well.
It was fun taking them in though, as I doubt there have ever been that many Mountain Horses in one place, at the same time in this county...I think since my one friend that also had one moved away, and I only know of one other....I think we own all the ones around, lol... We might have to change that! This is such a fun and easy breed to own, and we have a lot of ppl that are beginners to horses, or just older and tired of a "hard" horse around here. They'd love to have an easy going horse that is not hard to ride and comes in such a great range of size and color, and is so multi-purpose. I wish we had a breed parade here at one of the fairs or something...
Anyway, all the horses were good for their shots, including Boots (since he is new to us, we didn't know what he'd do). It was a good trip for Boots as he got to hang out in a safe parking lot for a while (vet was doing something or other and we didn't get him til about 30mins past our appointment), but right by the freeway interchange with lots of noise and movement. He really didn't seem to care. Then a rancher brought in a cow to get shots and dehorned, so it was dropped off in a pen and left...We took each of the ponies up to see it, and it very kindly made lots of mooing noises and wandered around then pen. Ari couldn't care less (I think there are cows in her neighboring pasture part of the year) and Boots just looked at it a little warily, but was fine otherwise. Storm was unafraid and only interested in whether or not it was breedable, as his darling daughter got him all hot and bothered that day, LOL.
That was actually good too...he hadn't been around any mares since December, and he was just talking up a...well...storm :) at Ari and strutting around like he was king. So I used the extra 1/2 hr to school him in ignoring girls (it is so funny..I have YET to have him talk to or be bothered with noticing a mare much while being ridden..but in a halter and in hand, he seems to think he should chat up every potential customer...so we have to work on that). Course I have no way to show him what IS "ok", since we are not really breeding...so I can't for instance take him to a breeding shed/area and "let" him talk to mares where it is ok and his "job", then take him elsewhere where it is NOT ok and thus try and show a "difference"...It sometimes makes me feel bad for constantly getting on his case when he is talking (he really doesn't get all "studdy" in other ways...just does love talk, LOL), and him not having ANY time where it is "ok"... but I guess that will sort itself out when he DOES get to breed, and then gets to see that there are "ok" times to be a boy...
Ari got to practice patience while we were there...she was NOT happy having to stand tied for 1/2 an hour, lol...finally she gave up and stood still without pawing, head tossing, rope eating, etc... :) We also measured her on the nice, level concrete...she was right between 14'3 and 15'...sighhh...and right now she is a good bit butt high again....STOP GROWING! LOL....
Anyway, it was a usual mixed cloud and drab Humboldt day, so the light isn't too hot, but here are pictures of all the pretty ponies in one place :)
The three stooges all together at once....






















Dude! I am SO BORED...Untie me!




















Hellooooo! Come on!




















Guess I will have to work this rope myself then...sheesh....if I chew long enough, maybe I will get free...




















Storm peeking around the trailer trying to see Ari...
























Finally bored with it all and just hanging out relaxed :)





















Boots, also a bit bored by it all...






















What a good boy..such a cute face :)

4 comments:

  1. I think it is common in most states that rabies can not be ordered by just anyone, and must be administered by a vet. So not just a CA thing...this time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just Ca...but I know there are plenty of states where you can just order it...would be so much easier (and cheaper!...spent 170$ by the time I had rabies, the office visit, and got WN, and a multi-with-tetanus for 2 ponies...sighhh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep...in WI ....vet mush do rabies. i do all the other vacs. your ponies are CUTE~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks :)those Vaccs are a ripoff..I mean really...170$ for 6 shots? sighhh..I need to have stock in a drug company I think! And then invent a new disease like in Mission Impossible ;)

    ReplyDelete