Thursday, July 9, 2009

First day with Storm

So today I went up to Trinidad with a bunch of goodies in my truck for Storm. He'll be getting some beetpulp, ricebran, minerals from the vets (our area is 3 x's lower in Selenium than normal and the vet formulates minerals to balance the hays and pastures here), a salt block, and some treats. So he will be royally spoiled of course :) I haltered him up, wormed him (he was really good about that), and then took him to the round pen. Oh, and he really liked the salt block...he's like Oliver (Terri's gaited endurance horse)...licks the heck out of them :) I then brushed him down well and worked him a few rounds in the pen. He responds well at liberty and was showing some nice gaits and a great rocking canter... Then I did some in-hand work with him. He was a little pushy into my space, but other than that responded nicely, so we will just work on that. Finally, he got to go down the drive to Terri's backyard, where he got to eat lots of good grass for 20 mins or so. All in all a nice and quiet, easy day. The next two weeks will be pretty much like this, as I don't want to overdo anything and start any "Real" training until he is settled and recovered from his trip. Next week the geldings will be coming back to Terri's too (they are living lawnmowers at my house right now and are almost done with that job) and then he'll have some horsey buddies (he does have the goats right now, but they are not that interesting I think).
I'll post some better pics of him soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment