Sunday, August 2, 2009

First Ride in a While

So it has been a while since a post. But I have been busy with making and marking trail and then riding the Redwood 1 ride last weekend. Still worked with Storm on and off in the Roundpen, but not as much as had liked. This week I was able to work with him some more.
My mother arrived from Germany for a vacation this last Weds as well, so we have and will be busy. But she is as much in love with this boy as everyone else that meets him for the first time. He sure has that effect on us! Here are some pics of him getting tacked up and lounged for the first time since I got him here. The saddle is way not wide enough for him, so will have to find something else, but it was handy today so got tossed up. He stood untied for saddling with no issues and after lounging him a while, I decided to be brave and hop up (wasn't going to do it initially cause no one was around to pull my butt out of the fire if anything went wrong, but he was being SOOO good!). He was fine. No issues at all! Not sure what the heck they did to him (besides overfeeding and locking him in a dungeon) in Kentucky to make him a "bucking horse that is too old to learn anything new", but he sure was fine for me. In fact, instead of bucking, that boy was so lazy I couldn;t hardly get him to go! :) I wish I had pics (another reason I was going to hold off til someone was around), but will get some in the next few days maybe. Am taking my mom horsecamping for a few days with Terri and Vanessa and her mom, so he'll get to think about the new situation in that time. Then I will start riding him around the RP and the property since he seems fine.





















2 comments:

  1. Ever since I heard the bucking story I've thought it was contrived! There are ways to get even the most laid back horse to buck. And that idea that he was too old to learn? Pile of garbage!!! As if horse's brains start to leak out after the age of 4!!! Just goes to show that old boy mentality that a horse has to be started before or at the age of 2 to be able to train them!! Grumble, grumble, grumble!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...oh, I am sure he DID buck...course he was getting fed alfa and grain and locked in a stall... Here he gets grass hay, a little beetpulp/ricebran mush to get his weight back(he is now done with it and only gets a handful to mix his minerals with) and has no training devices stuck on him. But yes, him being "too old" is total BS...older in my mind is better...at 2-4 they are still STUPID (esp boys as they are still thinking with their cajones at that point)..even around 4-5 it is debatable...6-7 a horse REALLY comes into its own and is so easy to work with. Can't wait to get him out on trail. As soon as my mom is back home (she is visiting from Germany right now), I will start heavier work with him and try to get him on the trail by next month. Goal is to have him ready to do some endurance at the end of the year. "dream" is to get him in shape to do Tevis next year...we shall see! A KMSH was 19th at Tevis this year...they CAN do it! :)

    ReplyDelete