Monday, June 29, 2009

Firestorm's Daughter Decides to play Fish for the the day....




















Well, after getting up at 4:30 am so I could take my Dad in to the hospital for an outpatient surgery on his shoulder (why do they need ppl there 3 freaking hrs ahead of time??? sighhh), I got a call around 8:30 from my friend's husband. They live down the street and board my Ari (Firestorm's Annarionien, my yearling filly by the big boy himself) at their place. He wanted me to come down and check on her, cause she'd cut up her lip. Turns out, she was trying to play at being a fish for a day and had given herself a lip peircing with her waterbucket hanger hook (see hook in pics...am switching to screw in wall flat panel holders now...sighhh..only needed hangers to begin with, cause lovely girl LOVES to shit in her water bucket if it is on the ground...). Thank heavens for the quiet and solid mentality of hte Mountain Horses...he found her in the stall just standing there, waiting to be rescued...a ditzy horse could have torn her cheek apart to the mouth or whatnot if she'd set back and struggled. He had to cut the twine the hook was on, unhook the water bucket, then pull the hook out of her mouth. He said she literally had it through the lip like a fish...from inside all the way out. So I cleaned her up (she let me irrigate it with a water bottle ok from the outside, but no way was water going in her mouth...)and took the pics of the cut. Then called the vet (turns out that Tracy, my friend, was taking a friend's mare in for a preggers check in an hour or so anyway and would haul me...much easier than going to go get my trailer and all) and they could fit me in. So I spent the next while grooming her and irrigating/cooling her cut every 10 mins or so to keep the swelling down as much as posissble. She was quite irate that she had to miss breakfast (wasn't sure she should eat with a hole in the mouth) but enjoyed the attention. We hauled her in (jumped right in the trailer, only second time hauling in her life and not the same as the first trailer she was in) and affter the preggers check, she got to have "fun"...As in trying to rear and clobber the vet while he tried to look at her cheek...hmmmm...didn't do that while I was irrigating at home...BAD GIRL...well, he clobbered her once or twice and she stood like a rock after that (me, I woulda just tranqued her first, but whatever, LOL). He decided that yes, stitches would be good (duh....) and THEN tranqued her and we stuck her in stocks (she was not going in without happy juice, LOL..SCARRRRYYYYY!!!!) and she got all beautified :) Now I have to hope the girl will leave her stitches in ok (200$ later, she BETTER leave them in) and not rub em out when they get itchy. So now she's had her first big boo boo and visit to the doctor...
Pics are from the camera phone (still can't find my real camera) so a tad blurry. And I had to help hold her head while he was stitching, so couldn't get pics of the action. Ah well :)
BTW...I STILL can't figure out how to put pics into the text (they just default to the top of the post) where I want them...any clues????

2 comments:

  1. Okay well..ummmm...this is definitely a pretty unique one! That horse has talent!! Better put a down payment on a teflon coated bubble suit and keep her away from sharp objects. :) I can't believe I had the bucket post almost done when you posted this.

    On the photos, can you select them in preview mode and drag them larger or smaller? That might help get things to line up how you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my cousins has always said, "If there is one nail sticking out, they will find it!" Horses in general are just kind of accident prone I guess. Glad she's okay.

    ReplyDelete