Thursday, June 25, 2009

New Mexico and a GOOD BOY

Well, I talked to Angel (one half of the D+D Horse Transport team) and they are now in New Mexico, where they are going to stop for a few hrs before continuing on. She says Storm is being a GREAT horse. He loaded up just fine at Sheree's and is not making any fuss with the other horses. They originally put Vick's under his nose since he was hauling next to a mare, but said it was not necessary any more as he isn't even talking to her. He is being a total gentleman in every way and not acting "stud-dy" at all. This is great news, as he'll be hauling with either a gelding or a mare if I take him to rides with Terri and I was worried I'd have to start taking my own rig with a stud in tow.... Also great news, as he seems to be his "normal" self so far, and not acting too traumatized by his foray in KY... So I think his downtime to de-frag at Sheree's has helped a ton. Thanks girl! You did good by him :)
She also said he is eating great, and even better, he TANKS every time he is offered water (sounds like a good endurance horse! I can't stand horses that don't trailer well..they HAVE to, exp when many of the rides I do are multidays and are a minimum of 12 hrs away, often 2-3 days of driving...so the horse HAS to arrive well hydrated and fed...a fussy hauler will NOT make it with me...so far Terri and I have been really lucky with our horses...). His only fault is he paws a little when they stop, but that she has seen much worse pawers and he hasn't kicked the walls or anything like that. Considering he really hasn't been trailered very often in his life, that is something I think might fix with time and I also know a few tricks if not, so I am not very worried at all.
Angel says they will most likely be home (Oakdale, CA) on Sat some time (making good time...they don't do long overnight/full day layovers, instead they do multiple short stops of a few hrs each and just "get home")...
I know there is a big debate with endurance riders about that too...stop every 3-4 hrs for a while (Terri and I do that actually), or just get to where you are going and rest there for the night (this usually is a debate for no more than 24hr type travel). Our guys always do great when we stop every 3-4 hrs, let them out to graze (if there is grass, mush is fed if not), walk around or stand around as they want, water, clean the trailer, etc.... Then we also stop for the night (this is on our 2-3 day trips like going to Utah)...I know we take almost twice as long as some ppl to get to rides, but our horses have always arrived hydrated, rested, fed, and happy. We so far have never had any metabolic issues/pulls even on difficult multiday rides (some of these are 250 miles on the same horse, after 3 days in the trailer)...We always get there at least a day and a half early (ie if the ride is on Sat, we arrive thurs some time) on long hauls like that as well, so the horses have at least one FULL day of rest in camp to recover. We also always offer a FULL day after the ride, before they get thrown back in the trailer to go home. So we think it seems to work. In fact, the only time they didn't get a full day after the ride (packed up the next day and left in the late morning/round noon maybe? And went about 6hrs to the overnight rest place), Terri's horse had a mild tie-up on a trail ride at home 5 days later....this last ride also had less water than usual and I think the horses were dehydrated after 5 days of hard terrain, low water riding....hmmmmmmmmm...next time, full day rest! No breaking of the routine!
Anyways, back on track, they said the couple who own the other horses (they are moving from Ohio to Oregon, and this is the load Storm is on the rig with), will be arriving at their new home on Sun or more likely Mon...so when they here from them, the haulers are going to head up to OR and I will then get him in Redding. There is a possibility it won't be til after the 2nd, if the other couple is late getting to OR, as Angel's daughter is going to a rodeo or something on the 2nd and they have to go do that. I would like that best actually, as then my whole trimming schedule will not be thrown out of whack, LOL... It is going to be nuts if I have to drop everything on Tues or Weds to haul to Redding and back..Later that week I am all clear though!
I will talk to them again on Sun (am leaving tomorrow to a local endurance ride, where Terri and I are going to give the 4 and 6 yo girls a camping experience and do the little 10mile "intro" ride so they can learn what it is all about.... and I don't think we have cell service there, but will be back late morning/early afternoon Sun).
Update will follow then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment